Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Tie Dye: Batch 2

I had originally meant to post this on the weekend but my second batch of Tie Dye wasn't nearly as good of an experience as the first. So I wasn't as eager to relive it as much as I was for the first batch. I did most of the work myself this time around. Rubber banding 9 shirts while I was watching Grey's Anatomy on Netflix. We only needed one shirt for A but me being me saw it as an opportunity to dye a bunch of shirts. So I bought 1 medium shirt for A and a 8 pack of Hanes XL Men's Shirts. Looking back I realize I took on too much. I tried to dye all the shirts by myself and realized not only does the dye not want to get on the dry shirts it just beaded off--we soaked the first batch in Soda Ash Mixture & this batch did not have that mixture--but that I don't have enough dye. 
I am a very easily frustrated person ** I don't handle frustration well. It can lead to yelling, crying or occasional throwing of things.** I was frustrated the entire time I was dying the shirts so much so that I asked/demanded that Babe help me. He's convinced that he only makes ugly brown shirts when he Tie Dyes so he never does it. With Babe's reluctant help we were able to finish 6 of the 9 shirts and I also got to do 2 washcloths. I'm considering using a throw in the washer dye for the other 3 shirts. The first shirt Babe dyed did not have enough dye in my opinion and made me even more frustrated. I tried not to yell at him about it because he was helping me and I needed him. After his first shirt he got the idea to soak the shirts in water because he thought the dye would stick better to a wet shirt like it did last time. It did stick better and so we soaked most of the rest of the shirts. Even the ones we didn't end up using it was a pain in the butt trying to dry them. 
After all the dyed shirts and washcloths sat over night it was time to untie and rinse them out. The rinsing out is very repetitive, boring and something I dread. So I procrastinated for as long as possible. After watching several episodes of Grey's Anatomy I finally worked up the energy and ambition to finish the shirts. Here's the process:


All the shirts tied up!
The Dye I used
All shirts before I untied them
I always go overboard when it comes to tying the shirts. I just want them all to come out so awesome!! I used two 3 packs of Tulip Dye (we used a different brand of Dye on the first batch Jacquard I think it was). I used the Paradise Punch Pack that included Purple, Fuchsia and Teal. I also used the Moody Blues Pack which included Blue, Green & Turquoise. Each pack was supposed to dye 9 projects but it didn't work out that way for me. Despite the kits not dying as many projects as I would have liked I am still happy with the outcome of the shirts. The Soda Ash Mixture probably would have helped but my Walmart was sold out.
**Warning Prepare for Picture Overload!! I just couldn't decide which shirts I should show you so I chose them all!!**
The Shirt I dyed for my Mom
The 1st shirt Babe dyed
A's Shirt
The 2nd Shirt Babe dyed
My Favorite Shirt
My 2nd Favorite Shirt (the front)
My 2nd Favorite Shirt (the back)
The Washcloths
Hanging All the Shirts to dry

 My Mom told me that if I found myself with a shirt that purple in it she would gladly take it off my hands. So I did a swirl tie dyed shirt with tons of purple, pink and teal for her. I hope she likes it! The 1st shirt Babe dyed came out pretty good despite not having a lot of dye on it. Too much white for me but still good. A's shirt came out really nice though I'm still terrified she'll hate it and if she does I already have plans to give it by Best Friend Missy who I know will wear it and also fits into a medium shirt. A's shirt is the only shirt other than my mom's that held it's dye really well after I washed it. All the rest faded. The 2nd shirt Babe dyed came out well. I wanted a blue swirl so that I had a swirl shirt from each dye pack. My Favorite shirt looks like there is a Hamster & a piece of cheese in the stomach and a pink thong with an upside down heart on it at the bottom of the shirt. My 2nd favorite shirt on the back looks as though it has a dog howling in Blue dye on the right side of the shirt. I love when you can find things like that. I don't know what it's called making something out of nothing maybe? Whatever it is called I would compare it to seeing things in the clouds. The Washcloths came out nicely. I didn't have enough dye for another shirt so I used so white washcloths I had laying around. I already have a bunch of tie dyed washcloths but none with purple, fuchsia or blue in them. And lastly is all the shirts hanging out to dry after they have been washed. 
I have had my fill of Tie Dye for a while. When I do Tie Dye again though I hope it isn't as frustrating as this batch was.


Have you tapped into your creative side lately?


Until Next Time! Stay Beautiful :)
** All Pictures are Mine**

No comments:

Post a Comment